Friday, January 1, 2010

new year, new chances

Happy New Year!  2010, here we are!

I think we slept away much of today.  It was a quiet day to relax, watch movies and nap. I am very grateful for the long weekend, two in a row, that my beloved husband gets to enjoy away from the stresses of work in the city. Tonight there is another snowfall here, but in this part of Nova Scotia we are not expected to get as much snow as in some other counties of our province.  But, having to go nowhere tonight, it is fine with me.

I must share about another book I asked for and received for Christmas.  It is Lesley Crewe's "Hit and Mrs."  Now this book is laugh-out-loud funny!  I laughed a lot and in a couple of places I laughed till I cried, really!  The action got almost frenzied nearer the end, but it was a good read nonetheless.  I enjoyed this book.

Now, I have a question.  What is the big deal about using the 'F' word in otherwise great writing?  The last two authors whose work I have read have chosen to write it in several times.  To me that is a spoiler.  I know it is a word that has made its way into practically everywhere, but is there anybody who seriously finds it a conversation stopper?  Is it really a necessary word?  My opinion is that people show their ignorance when using the "F" word repeatedly in conversation, and are demonstrating their poor and limited verbal skills.
I suppose to keep story writing up-to-date it seems important to include, but ... does no one see the need for change and positive influence through their writing?  Or is that an impossible dream?

Last time I wrote I mentioned learning about a new publisher.  After sending a query to which I received a prompt reply, I decided to move on it immediately - so on December 30 I sent my manuscript.  Why not?  Now I have two different stories out there to two different publishers, and the waiting game has begun all over again but in a new decade.  2010 is a new year of new chances.

My wish for you this year is that you try something that you have wanted to do for ever so long, something that will push your talents and abilities in a broader way, something that will increase your joy of living.  Be bold, be brave, be not afraid!

I would love to read your thoughts on what I have posted here tonight.

Happy New Year!  Thanks for reading, and ... Blessings on your day!  :)







2 comments:

Laura Best said...

I actually have an advanced copy of "Hit & Mrs" and now I'm quite anxious to read it once I get through the two books I'm reading at the moment..

As for the using *F* word, as a writer I have to say that I respect other writer's work. I don't think the use of that word is just thrown in there because they think they should. Sometimes it might be called for if that's the way your character speaks..only you, the writer knows that. My suggestion is to ignore any words that offend you if the story seems worth it.

Lynn said...

Thanks for posting, Laura. I have to agree with you about the use of that word. The first book I read, it was a shock to me that that particular author used that word, but the second author I had not read before, and actually the way she wrote her scenes it made sense (usually) to put that word in there -- if the story was going to be convincing. I just kept reading because I enjoyed the story in general. I am sure you will, too. :)