Monday, October 5, 2009

to 'tweet' or not to 'tweet'?

October already! .. and with this month comes Canadian Thanksgiving in one week's time. I will celebrate with family by gathering together on Sunday for a 'feast'.  More about that in a later post.

Tonight I am thinking about communication. Time was, a few years ago, that it was my regular practice to chat in online chat rooms where I met a lot of people.  All sorts of people. I haven't done that for some time and I miss it.  I do have a few friends I 'Yahoo' with periodically, and occasionally I use MSN, but I have no chat room to visit.  No place to call 'home' on the Internet.  It is nice having this blog which has its own dynamic, but it's not a chat room where I can 'hang out' and meet a few people at a time to talk and share, or just listen and enjoy others' company.

So, this week I am thinking about Twitter. What about it? Have you tried it?  And what do you think of it -- pros and cons?  I know it is not a chat room, but ... what can you tell me of your experience with it?

As I said in an earlier post, I chose to start a blog here rather than to use Facebook.  I think they (FB) are working on their privacy issues now, though.

What I would like is to find a safe, friendly, chatty place - but not overly populated.  :)  Just a semi-quiet and respectful chat room.  Any ideas?  Or, is that too hard to find these days? 

My preference is Christian rooms or even craft rooms, or quilting rooms.  Know of any good ones to try?

Please let me know.

Thanks for reading, and ... Blessings on your day.  :)

2 comments:

lizzysbiz-LD said...

Ah yes. Twitter. It's all the rage now. There are lots of people from a variety of backgrounds, interests and beliefs "tweeting." Christians are on Twitter, both individually and through ministries, and there's even a Christian version of Twitter. www.gospelr.com
The neat thing about Twitter is that when you follow a ministry or news site, you can keep up with what's going on without having to get loads of email. It's sort of like having a message board with very brief and informative "reminders" from the people/organizations/ministries with whom you want to be connected on a regular basis without having to load their sites on a daily basis for updates. And of course there are the cute and fun tweets, and the neat option to choose your favorite tweets. I've seen some really good ones that sound good enough to frame and put on the wall.

So if you're looking for a way to connect with other believers and ministries, Twitter is really cool.

For live chat along with message boards, there is http://www.christian-chat.net/

Christian Chat Net was once known as CCNet on IRC and they had their own script for Mirc, which I assume some people still use. This would be a good place to be in chat rooms for text only.

I'm sure you're aware that prayerful discernment is vital when connecting to people on the net just as much or even more so than in the 3-D world. We need more *true* Christians "walking the walk" online. That's why I'm glad to hear that you are considering joining Twitter and chat rooms.

Be blessed and be safe in your search for more connections. :)

Lynn said...

Wow! Thank you so much for this very insightful and informative post. It is of great help to me, and I expect it will be helpful to others finding it.
As for the point that discernment is vital for the Christian, I strongly agree. It is the main reason I ask so many questions. :)
As time allows I will be looking into this information you provided.
Thanks again.