Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Christmas, birthdays & writers

Only a few more days and it will be CHRISTMAS!!  Am I ready for that?  NO!  Are you?

I am missing our girls so much. This year my husband and I will be alone with no children at home with us.  Their absence is bothering me already and I'm finding it hard to not be 'blue'. Today I was thinking about four excited little girls who used to run around here - helping, and getting in the way, and giggling, and ... are now all grown up -- far too quickly! The house is so empty ...

My birthday on the 16th was quiet. I was busy answering phone calls and especially happy to hear from each of our girls, and our darling little grandson ... "Happy Burt-day, Gwamma."

A little each day this week I am gradually making our home look Christmas-y, putting up some decorations, changing things around, trying to make it more welcoming for the season. Soon I will be baking Christmas cookies and other goodies ... alone.  *sigh*  I'm needing some Christmas cheer. This empty-nesting is not very acceptable sometimes, in my mind. 

On Saturday my husband and I went to the mall to do a little Christmas shopping, and while there I realized there was an author - Laura Best - doing a book signing in front of the bookstore.  It  had slipped my mind about this event ... but I purchased her book Bitter, Sweet and asked her to sign it.  She was encouraging when I told her that I am not yet published, but still hopeful.  At her urging I may be in touch with her in the near future.

It is interesting how God puts things together, isn't it?  Last week He formulated a plan in my mind, and through it I am hoping to help another lady with her writing dream.  I talked with her last Thursday about it, and if it comes together as I foresee then it will be marvellous!  And exciting!


To continue with my story ...
After our time at the mall we continued on to another community and another mall which has a 'playhouse' for kids .. and a laser tag room.  It was a 'party' for our nephew's 13th birthday, and ten of us combined our 'skills' to play this crazy game.  It was our second time to do this, but of the ten of us five had never played it before.  It was hilarious! After 25 minutes of running around in the semi-darkness trying to 'hit' each other and not be 'hit' most of us were pretty tired.  :)  Pizza and cake .. and we were on our way home.

Do you have experience with laser tag, and if so .. any strategies you care to share with this novice?

We are enjoying fairly warm weather here at present. Today there was a skiff of snow that lightly covered the ground, but that will disappear soon. Temperatures are expected to warm up more this week before it turns to seasonable winter weather.  Do you like the colder weather?

Is anyone having trouble with mice this Fall?  Makes me wonder what's up with that?
Is there any old wives' tale or a Farmer's Almanac prediction concerning survival habits of mice?

I guess that is all for this time.  If you have any comments or answers to my questions, please post them.  I would very much appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks for reading, and ... Blessings on your day. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed meeting you, Lynn. I must say getting a chance to talk with others has been a real highlight for me.

Lynn said...

Thank you so much, Laura, for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Being in touch with you is a blessing in my life. I want so much to be a writer/author "when I grow up", so it is wonderful inspiration to meet and become acquainted with you and others who are already there. :)